Knit Crush: December favourites!
‘Tis the season to be sparkly! My knitcrushes this month are full of shimmer and shine, ideal for quick Christmas knits to give, and treasures to keep!
On this side of the earth, December is a month of darkness lit by candles, fairy lights and lanterns, and what we need to be wearing and knitting are yarns full of sparkle and shimmer to reflect this beautiful, muted glow! I’m a sucker for a twinkly yarn, from an ethereal mohair to a squashy super chunky shot through with silver thread! I’ve chosen a few fun items for December that I think are great fun, from knitting with golden needles to making little robins with bells inside!
1. Debbie Bliss Party Angel Mohair with a twist, I love this stunning mohair yarn shot through with sparkle! Knit delicious cardies and jumpers, and because mohair is incredibly warm, a scarf or shawl in this lightweight yarn is the perfect companion to a party outfit this winter! Editor’s tip: be quick! this yarn is currently in the sale!
2. Bergere de France Galaxie Soft, snuggly and sparkly too, Galaxie is a wool and acrylic blend yarn that works up speedily on 8mm needles. I used this last year to make the Quick-knit Lace Cowl by Sarah Knight. It only takes three balls of Galaxie, and it’s a fabulous speedy gift knit!
3. Addi Single Point Gold Glitter Knitting Needles shimmer sweetly as you knit, with gold flashes suspended prettily like champagne bubbles in these transparent plastic needles! These are ideal for sticky yarn, they’ll glide through mohair and make short work of fashion yarns and sit comfortably in the hands too. In 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 12, 15 and 20mm sizes.
4. Knit Christmas – the Big Book of Little Knits I love a knitting book stuffed choc full of patterns – and this one is full of little knits that are perfect for gifts! I love the little phone covers, socks and hot water bottle covers – there’s something for everyone in here, simple patterns through to complicated cables!
5. Classic Elite Yarns Ava is a fabulously sparkly DK shot through with metallic fibres that are either gold or silver, or tonal – the stunning Emerald is glowing with metallic green! Imagine knitting party accessories with this merino wool blend – soft to wear, and delicious to work with – throws, DK weight shawls and party cardies that will twinkle in the candlelight!
6. Jingly Robins Knitting Kit A festive kit for a little one who’d like to learn to knit! I love these little jingly robins – a super kit that contains yarn, stuffing, bells and needles – everything you need to make three jingly robins! Clear step by step instructions and simple garter stitch makes these robins very achievable for a new knitter!
What are your December knitcrushes? I’m not sure I can resist mine!
For more irresistible ideas, follow us on Bloglovin’ and don’t miss a post!
Last updated: January 18th, 2016.